Cauliflower has become a staple in the house and is an ingredient in a variety of dishes spanning cuisines. I used riced cauliflower as a substitute for rice which has been a phenomenal adjustment of carbs in our diet.
When you combine cauliflower with a nice tomato curry you just can’t go wrong. My local Traders Joes store has made it even easier for me by selling already riced cauliflower which saves me a ton of time and the mess on my counter with grains of the vegetable flying around 🙂
This is really easy to make and just perfect for a cold winter day. Serve with some flatbread or rice with a side of pickles.
If you love cauliflower do check out my other recipes:
Riced Cauliflower and Peas Curry - Matar Gobi
a savory tomato curry with peas and riced cauliflower
- 1 head of Cauliflower – grated
- 1 cup of frozen organic peas
- 1 cup of peeled tomatoes
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger – grated
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chilies – chopped
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida or hing(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Juice of half lemon
- Chopped cilantro
- Mustard oil ( or oil of your choice)
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender
- You can cut the cauliflower in florets and grate them or buy a riced cauliflower bag
- In a large pan add 2 tbsp oil and cumin seeds, once crackling add cauliflower and cook for 3-4 mins until slightly brown. Set aside.
- In a pan warm up another 3 tbsp of oil, add green chilies, cloves, grated ginger, and asafoetida, and .
- Add pureed tomatoes and let the mixture cook for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric, chilies powder and kasoori methi and let the mixture cook until the oil starts to separate from the tomatoes
- Add the yoghurt and mix well
- Add frozen peas, cook for a minute and add the cauliflower.
- Do not cover the pan and use a dash of water as needed. This will only take a couple of minutes
- Top with lemon juice and fresh cilantro.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday with the fab cohosts Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju.com and Laurena @ Life Diet Health
8 thoughts on “Cauliflower and Peas Curry – Matar Gobi”
What a great recipe to use cauliflower rice which I have made. Whole Foods carries it too! Good combination with the peas and so nice to see I have the ingredients to make this. Thanks for sharing with Fiesta Friday Zeba 🙂
Thanks Judi- I know you will love the dish so glad you are planning to try it out. Let me know if you change anything for the better. Thanks for co hosting!! P.s the Riced bag of cauliflower saves so much time
Wow tempting photography.. delicious
Thanks so much Ruchi!
Ooo Zeba just my type of food and I have all the ingredients! I am most definitely making this soon! Love your blue bowl too, it makes for an amazing photo. Thanks so much for linking and sharing at Fiesta Friday.
Thanks so much Lauren, glad you will be making it, I know you will love it. I got the bowl from a local artisan fair and do love it. Thanks for co hosting!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Always lovely to see what everyone else is making… and to remind myself to visit blogs such as yours more often!
LikeLiked by 1 person