This cake is a dream,,,,, a foodie artist’s dream….a healthful, sweet, and tangy slice of heaven. It is always shocking when you take the first bite and realize that the flavor explosion is oil and refined sugar-free. It’s just an extraordinary and beautiful cake that feeds your senses.
It took many tries to create this recipe, you don’t want the cake to be too dense so the combination of the oat and almond is essential. The lemons juice along with the baking powder and soda helps it rise.
The aquafaba really pulls it together and binds the ingredient. It’s actually effortless and fun to bake this gorgeous cake. Serve it with your favorite cashew cream. You can find my version of the cream here.
If you don’t have pineapple juice, just use a cup of frozen or fresh pineapple pieces and blend in a high-speed blender, and strain. This is what I did.
Aquafaba can be got from your can of GMO and BPA-free chickpeas. I had boiled my dry chickpeas for hummus earlier for saved the aquafaba. It freezes well.
Decorate the cake to your liking. I peeled some blood oranges and left a few with the peel on. I filled in the spaces with pineapple pieces.
Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
A Whole Food Plant Based Blood Orange and Pineapple Cake
- 1 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic oat flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup aquafaba ( chickpea liquid)
- 1/2 cup deglet dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lemon For the syrup:
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup blood orange juice
- a pinch of saffron ( optional) Orange layer:
- 2 peeled and sliced Blood Oranges
- 1/2 cup Pineapple pieces ( fresh or frozen)
For the loaf:br>
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the pineapple and blood orangee juice, saffron ( if using)and simmer in a pot until reduced to half
- Line a cake pan with parchment paper. Peel and slice the blood oranges and arrange at the bottom of the cake pan along with the pineapple pieces
- Pour the reduced juice over the fruit pieces in the cake pan to form the glaze
- Grind the Oats to a coarse powder ( not super fine)
- Mix Oat powder, Almonds flour, baking powder and baking soda
- Blend water, aquafaba, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and dates in the high speed blender
- Mix the wet ingredient to the dry and mix lightly until combined
- Pour over the fruit in the cake pan
- Bakes at 350 degrees for 50 -60 mins until until the edges are brown and the top feels firm when pressed.
- Cool in pan for 15 mins and then using a plate invert the cake. Remove the parchement paper gently.
- Blood Orange upside down cake – WFPB
- A Vegan Orange Loaf with Cashew Frosting
- Chocolate Dreams – Vegan Tart
- Figs with walnuts, yoghurt and honey
- Rose and Saffron Ice cream
- Banana Berry Cashew Cream Pie
- Chia Seed Mango Dessert
- Raw Caramel and Walnut Bars
- Coconut and Almond butter energy clusters
- Heavenly Energy Balls