A cool dessert for cold winter days….simple, healthy and full of energy from Chia seeds, coconut and fruit.
This version is vegan, dairy free and gluten free. You could use honey instead of coconut nectar and real grass fed creamy milk if you like. The gelatin is also a vegetarian brand.
I use Chia seeds in smoothies, oatmeal and desserts abundantly. In the category of superfoods now these are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, dietary fiber, and other nutrients.
I added a layer of saffron which happen to be my favorite spice purchased directly from the saffron fields of Kashmir.
The pudding consistency can be managed by adding extra milk or reducing chia seeds. You can adjust both ingredients based on the thickness and consistency you want. Mine got too thick at first so I had to add more coconut milk to soften. You want to stir the pudding a couple of times while it refrigerates to get the creaminess.
Fresh sweet mangoes would be delightful but frozen are fine too. I also found the canned mango pulp to work really well. Just ensure that there is no added sugar.
Chia Seed Mango Dessert
For the Chia Pudding:
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut nectar
For the Mango Layer
- Fresh or forzen mango chunks
- 1 tbsp gelatin ( you can use the vegetarian version)
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- Pinch of saffron flakes
- Coconut Flakes
- Slivered Almonds
- Berries ( or you could use Mango slices)
Putting it together:
- Whisk the coconut milk, chia seeds, and nectar together in a large bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then whisk again . Cover and chill in the fridge for 2.5-3 hours until nice and thick.
- Puree the Mango and heat in a pan with 1/4 cup water. Turn off the heat and add the gelatin. Mix well and refrigerate along with the pudding for 2-3 hours until set. You could also use the pureed mango that is readily available and sweeten to taste. I just had some mango chunks in the freezer that I used.
- Portion the pudding into bowls, top with a layer of mango and then the toppings . You can add another layer of syrup over the topping if you desire more sweetness.