Looking for healthier versions of tea time snacks and trying to use my bananas and carrots, I found a number of recipes in my google search. I have made almond flour banana bread numerous times but wanted to add some carrot. I adapted some recipes but the closet original of the the paleo recipe can be found at here . I used 3 parts almond flour and 1 part buckwheat flour, still all gluten free. For the sweetness I used coconut nectar instead of dates. Dates would have been great but I was too lazy and short on time to use and wash a food processor 🙂
Raw organic Almond Flour works great to give it the spongy texture, carrots add the vitamin c and walnut the rich nutrients. Add the bananas and eggs and its really a great breakfast food.
I love citrus zest and use it as much as I can. Drying your own organic peels and grinding them is a great way to use zest in food, soaps and cleaners. I had fresh mandarins on hands and the freshness brought a punch to the bread.
For tea time in my house it was served with Matcha tea and a side of crème fresh. I found this simple article on Matcha if you want to learn more about this tea full of antioxidants.
Carrot Banana Bread -food for the soul
- 1 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 3 mashed Bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 11/2 cup Organic carrot grated
- 1 Tbsp Orange zest ( optional)
- 1 cup Chopped or halved walnuts
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, combine bananas, eggs, vinegar and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture in the large bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Fold in carrots, orange zest and nuts.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.