I still had coconut left over from when I made the Coconut Almond Butter Clusters. Burfi is a true Indian sweet make with reducing milk (and products) thereby intensifying the taste and flavor. I still remember standing in narrow side streets in India waiting for the fresh Khoya Burfi plates which would easily be devoured in minutes…this was of course a teenage appetite which has now changed to moderation 🙂
This recipe is made with sweetened condensed milk so no added sugar is needed. The trick is to cook it down to a lumpy consistency so it can set properly.
The rose petals are optional but I had bought a batch of organic edible dried petals so getting some use out of them.
I also kept the coconut a little crushed and not ground to a fine powder…..just the way I like it so I can taste the coconut pieces. I soaked the coconut for an hour in Almond Milk but you could go regular milk.
- 1 cup unsweetened dry coconut flakes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup crushed almonds
- 3/4 tin condensed milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 10 strands of saffron
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp crushed organic rose petals
- 3-4 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
Putting it together:
- Grind the coconut in a processor and then soak in Almond Milk for a hour
- Grind/Crush the Almonds
- Soak the Saffron strands in 1 tbsp of warm water
- Crush about 9 green cardamom pods to get the powder
- Add 2 tbsp of Ghee to a heavy bottomed pan, add almonds and fry for a minute
- Add soaked coconut and cardamom powder and cook down for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add about 6-7 tablespoons of condensed milk, rose water, 1/2 tsp rose petals and start to cook and medium heat.
- In a couple of minutes reduce the heat to low, add 1 tbsp of ghee, saffron and continue to cook until then mixture in lumpy and separated from the oil. This requires stirring and making sure the mixture is not sticking to the bottom of the pan about 5-10 mins.
- Pour in a ghee greased pan ( I used silicone) and sprinkle with crushed rose petals and let it cool down. You can slice now and put in the fridge for 30 mins.
The pieces can be stored in a air tight container in the fridge for a few days.