Here is a moment of truth – I have not been a big fan of regular pizza ( I know I know…gasp!!) but it is true, the rich tomato sauce and the gooey cheese really does nothing for me. So, when Pizza is ordered at home I happen to be the odd one out who is looking for something else to eat.
But now……..this beautiful plant based pizza starting from the crust to the cheese was a delight to make and absolutely delicious and satisfying to eat. The first time I made it, it was gone in minutes, the second time I made doubles and even froze some baked crust for next time. Now this has become a go to recipe that I make over weekends. The plan usually is to have the extra crusts prepared for the weekdays.
A little about the crust – sweet potato is the star here. Not only are sweet potatoes are high in nutrients and complex carbs, they also offer a natural binding to the dough. I found that roasted sweet potatoes add the most flavor but I also tried microwaving ( after making some fork holes) for 6-8 mins and it does the job. Make sure the potatoes are well washed and you can use the skin as well if you like. I have added some raw cauliflower also.
Golden flax is a wonderful ingredient that will provide the additional binding needed for the dough. The mix is 1tbsp of ground flax to 3 tbsp of water put aside for 5 mins or so.
I have used a mixture of whole wheat flour and some sweet sorghum flour. You can use the flour that works for you. Gluten free would work fine.
The recipe here is for 1 large or 2 small pizzas and is directional but as you work with the dough you will know if you need extra flour or moisture. I doubled this recipe and froze the extra pizza after baking the crust.
Plant based Pizza
A nourishing and delicious plant based Pizza with a sweet potato crust
- Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Crust
- 1 large or 2 small roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/4 head of cauliflower ( about 2 large chunks)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour
- 2 tbsp ground golden flax soaked in 6 tbsp of water for 5 mins
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried herbs such as oregano, parsley etc
- salt to taste
- Vegan Pesto
- 1 cup organic walnuts ( soaked for an hour and rinsed)
- 6 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp Grated Lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Vegan Mozzarella
- I used this wonderful recipe from Minimalist Baker
- In a blender, make the vegan pesto by first blending all the ingredient except the nutritional yeast. Once the consistency is smooth add the yeast and blend some more and adjust the salt.
- Make the Mozzarella and let it rest ( your can make this ahead of time or use a store bought one)
- Get the oven heated up to 375 degrees
- Using your food processor, add the cauliflower and grate it, add the roasted sweet potato ( you can use the skin too) and then add the soaked flax and pulse for a couple of rounds
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl
- At this point you can take out the wet ingredients from the food processor to a separate bowl to knead by hand but I have chosen to use the processor so left them there
- Start adding the dry to the wet and knead until a ball of dough is formed.
- Cover and let it rest for 10 mins
- Using a Pizza stone or a parchment lined pan, start shaping the dough in a circular form about 1/4 inch thick. A little bit of olive oil on your hands may help and also helps to use it lightly on the pizza stone.
- You will bake the crust for 8-10 minutes on one side, flip with the help of a pan or circular plate and bake for another 10 mins
- Top with vegan pesto, veggies of your choice and the vegan mozzarella. Bake at 450 for 3-5 mins and enjoy.
Here are some other Vegan recipes:
- Black Bean and Mung Soup
- Stacked Eggplant with Garlic Yogurt
- Palak Tofu – A creamy rendition of Spinach and Tofu
- Kadoo Borani – Afghan braised pumpkin
- Chocolate Dreams – Vegan Tart
- Karela Fry ( A Bitter Gourd Sabzi)
- Pumpkin Rogan Josh – Kashmiri
- Rose Harissa Paste
- Kashmiri Achar
- Sweet Potato Crust Pizza