Spring comes and goes a little tantalizing and evasive. Just cold enough to want some spicy rich curry. This is a vegan version of a wonderful rich “tikka masala” usually made with chicken. I am not going mention the quarantine times , but i just did 🙂 . Hard to get time slots for groceries to be delivered made me reflect on what we really need to made a good meal.
It is also the wonderful month of Ramadan where creative recipes is really a challenge at the end of a long working day when the last thing you want to do it cook. Fortunately being homebound means you can prep in between meetings and conference calls – i know some of you get that 🙂
I had tofu and coconut yoghurt from the last grocery run. The spice cabinet is always full. Rice is abundant in an American Indian kitchen.
And I had roasted yellow beets that I was using in my salads.
You can make this this dish as rich as you like by adding butter or ghee and topping it up with cream. It is incredible either ways
For the beetroot raita: I roasted the beets in 375 degree oven for 40 mins. Grated and added them to yoghurt with 1/2 minced garlic, salt, chopped mint and 1/2 tsp cumin powder.
Tofu Tomato Curry with Beetroot Raita
A beautiful curried tofu tikka masala
IngredientsFor the tofu:
- 2 blocks tofu extra firm
- 1/2 cup yoghurt ( plant based for a vegan choice)
- 1/2 each for cayenne, coriander and cumin powder
- Squeeze of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 large yellow onions, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek leaves (dry)
- 2 -3 tbsp cashew cream ( homemade of store bought)
- Salt to taste
- Drain the tofu. I put the slab in a colander, covered with a cloth or paper towels and put a brick over it for an hour.
- Make a marinade with the rest of the tofu ingredients
- Cube the tofu and mix with the marinade. Leave for at least an hour. You can leave it overnight if you are planning ahead
- Bake the tofu cubes in the 350 degree oven for about 45 mins, turning and rotating every 15 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions. Add the garlic and ginger when onions are translucent and sauté for a minute.
- Add all the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and cardamom toast for a minute. Salt to taste.
- Then add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Cook for about 20 mins, add a splash of water if too dry.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the sauce and return to heat.
- Add the fenugreek powder and cashew cream.
- Add the cooked tofu pieces and simmer for 5 mins.
- Garnish with some dried fenugreek leaves
I have served the curry with the wonderfully cooling golden beet raita and white rice topped with some mint and sumac.