In this edition: Okra and Carrots pickles
Both Okra and Carrot are abundant in my organic vegetable garden and this is a way to preserve them and enjoy them for weeks ahead.
The carrots and peeled and slice into stick and put in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes to soften them just a bit.
This brine is spicy and just the way I like it. It’s spiced up with red chilli flakes, garlic, peppercorns and fennel seeds. In this batch I brought the brine to a boil which is different from my previous experiments.
This is a special week as I am co-hosting at Angie’s Fiesta Friday with Jhuls. It is always such an honor to co-host and so much fun to go through the amazing dishes presented!! Have you checked out the party and Jhul’s fabulous blog? If not, you are missing out!
Pickles: Okra and Carrots
a zesty quick pickle with Okra and Carrots
- 7-8 Whole Okra
- 4-5 Carrots peeled and sliced into sticks
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic sliced or smashed
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 whole red peppers sliced
- 2 whole green chilies
- 1 tablespoon pink salt or sea salt
- Fill a medium-large saucepan half-full with water and bring to a boil on the stove top. Carefully add carrots to boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, until just softened. Drain carrots and set aside. Better to be on the crisper side than the softer side.
- Combine the cider vinegar, water, garlic, red pepper flakes, whole red chillies, salt, fennel seeds and peppercorns to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Reduce the temperature and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pack fresh, cleaned okra loosely into a mason jar, add whole green chilies.
- Pack the partially cooked carrots in a separate jar
- Pour the hot brine over the okra and carrot, filling the jars to the top and allow contents to pickle at room temperature for 24 hours. Refrigerate the jars and enjoys for many weeks