The beauty of a simple cake sweet and infused with grated orange peels and coconut. This recipe is perfect for a sunny weekend afternoon which I spent making this with my teenage daughter.
This cake speaks to you with its simplicity and yet complex flavors. Use a organic whole fat coconut milk, really good grass fed butter and home dried orange peel and it will amplify the flavors. Butter can be softened at room temperature or a few seconds in the microwave. I much prefer the room temperature approach
I personally don’t have much of a sweet tooth ( and therefore less sugary recipes on my blog :() but making this for my family is always a labor of pure love.
You can frost this cake with whipped cream or coconut cream cheese frosting. I kept it simple and naked to its own glory. A dollop of fresh cream on the side will add the minimal right touch.
Coconut Orange Cake
The beauty of a simple cake sweet and infused with grated orange peels and coconute
- 2 cups organic cake flour ( Trader Joes)
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes ( unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt1 cup
- 1 cup/1 can whole coconut milk
- 1 stick of organic grass fed butter ( softened)
- 1 1/2 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 3/4 tsp ground orange peel
- 3 large eggs
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat sugar and butter on medium-high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating each egg until well incorporated before adding the next one.
- Add coconut milk, vanilla and orange extracts and beat for 2 more minutes.
- The mixture should be pale and fluffy
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and coconut in a bowl.
- Add the dry ingredient in small increments to the wet ingredient and continue to blend with the mixer.
- Using a 9 inch cake pan, grease with butter and dust with flour.
- Pour the cake batter in the pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 mins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Dust some fine sugar on the cake and serve with coconut flakes, whipped cream and berries or with orange slices.
Also sharing at