I make this every week but have never really photographed it or posted the recipe until now, not sure why and this is totally something you want to share with everyone.
This is good for you…. for the gut and general healing. It is fermented and There is heat in the turmeric and ginger so adjust the quantity based on your own body type and digestive system
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which is anti inflammatory. Ginger happens to be a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Lemon is naturally detoxifying boosts the immune system. Allof it together is one solid health shot!!!
I normally add water to a 1/4 cup of the fermented tonic and drink it every morning with a dash of lemon juice
Beautifully healing from all things evil and toxic for the body especially for the gut.
The fermentation process needs some sugar, I have used both honey and a vegan option of rice or coconut syrup. Please adjust to your liking.
The tamarind is key to bring on the tartness. Please do not omit ( I guess you could but it would not be the same). Tamarind pods can be found in the local Asian stores.
So here is the recipe:
This recipe is not precise, please do adjust as you wish.
- 10 fresh turmeric pods
- 1 pod of ginger ( about 4 inches)
- 7 dry tamarind ponds
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoon coconut nectar or honey or rice syrup
- Remove the shell of the tamarind pods and bol them in water on low heat covering just barely. This takes about 10 mins. Cool and them use your hands to removes the shells and strings until everything is a pulp.
- Chop the fresh turmeric and ginger and boil for 20 mins until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Blend the turmeric ginger in a high speed blender. Add tamarind, nectar and lemon juice until everything is smooth and combined. If it is thick you can add some water.
- Pour into glass containers, cover with muslin and ferment in a dark dry place for 2 days.
- Once fermented you can cover the bottles and move into the fridge.
- You can strain into a glass, add some lemon juice and drink once a day!
4 thoughts on “Turmeric Ginger infused tonic”
Yes please! We are making this at the first opportunity! Thanks for posting at Fiesta Friday and Happy New Years!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Happy new year Mollie!
I need this in my life!!
LikeLiked by 1 person