The simplest soups are sometimes the best…warm, tangy and so good for the soul. This soup is simple and this soup is good and this soup is nourishing.
It was ready is just 20 mins and made this chilly winter day just a little bright. The fridge was left with a depleting stock but I found the vibrant celery sticks and fresh carrots which inspired pulling this off. I had made some fresh lemongrass paste and had dried kafir lime leaves on hand so looked like a perfect day for soup.
The color in the soup is obtained from fresh turmeric that I minced with the garlic and ginger. It adds an earthiness but if you don’t have it on hand then don’t fret….equally delicious with out it.
For the home made recipe of lemongrass paste check it out on my blog here.
The vegetarian version of this soup uses a vegetarian broth, I bought an organic low sodium version but homemade would be great. If you are not a vegetarian then do use a good bone broth or beef broth that will bring intensity to the soup.
Thai vegetable Soup
A Tangy Lemongrass and Kafir Lime flavored Vegatable Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced fresh turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 4-5 Kafir Lime leaves ( fresh or dried)
- Pink salt to taste
- 3 cups of vegetable broth ( or chicken or beef for a non-veg version)
- Cilantro and lemon juice for garnish
- Add coconut oil to a heavy bottomed pan and sauté the onions and celery until translucent
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander and turmeric and continue to sauté for 3- 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots, lemons grass paste and let them blend in for a minute.
- Add the broth and salt to taste.
- Add the broth comes to a boil add the a kafir lime leaves.
- You can adjust the broth and seasoning at this point.
- Let is cook on simmer for about 20 mins until fragrant.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon and cilantro leaves.