Fall is here…you feel the nip in the air and the leaves have started to fall and form the red and gold carpet .
When I look outside it reminds me of a Faiz poem
This is the way that autumn came to the trees:
it stripped them down to the skin,
left their ebony bodies naked.
It shook out their hearts, the yellow leaves,
scattered them over the ground.
Anyone could trample them out of shape
undisturbed by a single moan of protest…..
…..Faiz translated ( When Autumn Came)
The most beautiful time of the year and perfect for this soup.
This soup is warm and creamy spiced with Thai curry paste and sweetened with coconut milk. Use a good full cream coconut milk and it cuts the spicy Thai curry paste beautifully.
The squash was roasted with a bit of salt, pepper, cumin and avocado oil. I tend to leave the seeds in when I roast so they just get combined in the soup.
I used a store bought curry paste – if you make you own, it would be even better.
The fresh ginger and turmeric was a great find at the farmers market so I had to use them in this soup.
If you don’t know it already Fiesta Friday is where to party every Friday. I joined it when I started blogging a couple of years back and it has been such a great support and platform to grow. Bring your dishes here and Link up your posts at Angie’s Fiesta and to both the co-hosts!
Do read the guidelines posted here….but the rules are just have fun and enjoy visiting all the fabulous bloggers.
Thai Curried squash soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil
- 1 medium sized butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green chili ( optional)
- 4-5 garlic clove crushed
- 1 small piece of ginger root- finely chopped
- 1 small piece of turmeric root- finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- A handful of Thai basil leaves
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Salt/pepper to taste
Putting it together
- Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds ( if you want) and smother with salt, pepper, cumin powder and avocado oil. Roast in 375 degree for 45 minutes. When done, remove the skin and cube.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add the coconut oil and saute chopped onions and garlic.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, red curry paste, green chili (if using) and give it about 2 minutes on medium heat
- Add the cubed squash and salt/pepper to taste. Let it cook until combined and add the basil leaves
- Transfer this to a blender and add the broth and coconut milk( reserving a couple of teaspoons for garnish)
- Stir the lime juice into the blended soup.
- Serve the soup in bowls garnishing with fresh Cilantro, pumpkin seeds and swirls of reserved coconut milk
I will also be sharing this on Saucy Saturdays.