I thought winter is behind us and could almost smell the spring…..but today turned out to be another nippy, windy cold day in our area. Nothing warms up the soul like a nourishing soup with the best of ingredients, the super kale, cannellini beans, and shiitake mushrooms cooked in a aromatic vegetable broth
- Dried Shiitake mushrooms ( soaked in hot water for an hour)
- Chopped Tuscan Kale
- A can of Cannellini beans
- Lots of garlic ( 8-10 pieces)
- one chopped red onion
- 2 cups Vegetable low sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp coriander poweder
- salt and pepper to taste
Putting it together:
- Saute onions in olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add cumin seeds and pepper flakes and stir for 1 more minute.
- Add whole of chopped garlic cloves ( i like them whole) and let it saute for another minute. Then add the spice powder and stir around.
- Add sliced mushrooms and kale and then top with 2 cups of vegetable broth and the mushroom water.
- Add the rice vinegar and the beans.
- Adjust the liquid with water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
Let it cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.