I thought winter is behind us and could almost smell the spring…..but today turned out to be another nippy, windy cold day in our area. Nothing warms up the soul like a nourishing soup with the best of ingredients, the super kale, cannellini beans, and shiitake mushrooms cooked in a aromatic vegetable broth
- Dried Shiitake mushrooms ( soaked in hot water for an hour)
- Chopped Tuscan Kale
- A can of Cannellini beans
- Lots of garlic ( 8-10 pieces)
- one chopped red onion
- 2 cups Vegetable low sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp coriander poweder
- salt and pepper to taste
Putting it together:
- Saute onions in olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add cumin seeds and pepper flakes and stir for 1 more minute.
- Add whole of chopped garlic cloves ( i like them whole) and let it saute for another minute. Then add the spice powder and stir around.
- Add sliced mushrooms and kale and then top with 2 cups of vegetable broth and the mushroom water.
- Add the rice vinegar and the beans.
- Adjust the liquid with water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
Let it cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
Wonderful nourishing warm soup for lunch, ready in about 20 minutes.
2 thoughts on “Kale, Shiitake and Bean soup”
Yummm!! This looks delicious. I love trying different varieties of mushrooms in soups. Thanks for sharing:)
Thank you so much…i love the texture of different mushrooms too. There are lots of varieties of dried mushrooms at the asian store…if you try another one, let me know how it turns out:)