More fall recipes…more warmth of this beautiful season. Time for thanks and blessings.
This is a soup that will make you close your eyes with every spoonful to savor the flavors. It is spiced up with a green chili, ginger, turmeric and cumin. It is also vegan if you omit the goat cheese on top.
Butternut squash is roasted with a drizzle of olive oil and spices, the walnuts are toasted and the Sage from the garden is perfect with this soup.
If you can’t find the fresh ginger and turmeric root please use the dry powder.
- 1 red onion
- 3 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 green apple
- 1 green chili
- 2 small pieces of ginger root- finely chopped
- 2 small pieces of turmeric root- finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 5 cloves of garlic- chopped
- a bunch of sage leaves – flash fried in olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- a cup of walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
Putting it together:
- Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and smother with salt, pepper, cumin powder and olive oil. Roast in 375 degree for 45 minutes. When done, remove the skin and cube.
- Toast the walnuts in the same over for 5 -10 mins until fragrant
- Flash fry the sage leaves and drain on a paper towel
- Chop the onions, celery, carrots, green chili and apple.
- Pour 2 tbsp olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the garlic, as you saute, add the ginger, turmeric and the chopped raw vegetables.
- Once translucent add the dry spices and let if cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped sage leaves, roasted squash, vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 30 mins until all veggies are soft and tender.
- Puree with a hand held blender in the pot or in a regular blender until smooth.
- At this point you can coconut milk to bring some creaminess. Let it heat through.
- Serve hot topped with walnuts, fried sage leaves and goat cheese.
- Delighted to take this to Fiesta Friday 95 with co-hosts ,Loretta @ Safari of the Mind and Petra @ Food Eat Love.