Sprouted Lentil Soup

An unfortunate accident in my vegetable garden, a foot slips, a bone cracks and life lands with a clear realization of a broken leg.

Cast, crutches, knee scooter, cancelled vacation plans and an abundance of crankiness and pain….while dealing with everything that comes with it, I am encouraged that it will help my family cook with me ( as I give direction of course :).

I have been looking for simple healing recipes that will be satisfying and help me through this phase.

Sprouted Urad Dal Soup
Sprouted Urad Dal Soup

This Sprouted Urad dal soup is simple and nourishing. I had started sprouting the Black Urad dal before the fracture intending to use in in salads but it ended up pressure cooked into a delicious soup.

Sprouting is a great way to liven up your regular lentils adding that extra crunch and the extra punch of vitamins the germination process brings.

Use a sprouting process that works for you but the basic way is to soak in water overnight the first day and then rinse and drain twice a day leaving covered with a damp towel. Sprouts should start to come out in day 3-4. After that point you can store in the fridge for a couple of day while using to add to soups, salads and stir fry…or just snack on them like  I do.

Sprouted Urad Dal Soup
Sprouted Urad Dal Soup

Here is what you need:

• 2 cups of sprouted Urad lentil (dal)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 green chili – chopped
  • 1tsp chopped fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh garlic
  • 1 chopped tomato
  • 2 cups water or vegetable stock
  • Salt
  • 1 tbsp ghee ( or butter)
  • Chopped cilantro, chopped ginger, a pinch of lemon zest and lemon juice for garnish
  • Extra Chopped tomato for garnish

How to put it together:

In and pressure cooker combine the first 8 ingredients and pressure cook for 7-8 mins.

Release the pressure and keep on low heat. Adjust the seasoning and add the ghee.

Serve topped with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, zest, ginger and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Taking my healing soup to Fiesta Friday  where the co-hosts are Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju and Petra @ Food Eat Love.

11 Comments Add yours

1. Linda says:

Sorry to hear about your injury! Hope you get better soon..your delicious soup will certainly help 🙂

1. Food For The Soul says:

Thank you Linda…the soup and a lot of TLC is helping:)

Liked by 1 person

2. I use to sprout mung beans and something else that I can’t recall but never lentils. I might just give this a try as it sounds so good and healthy! Happy Fiesta Friday and thanks for sharing… Hope you heal quickly 🙂

1. Food For The Soul says:

Thanks so much. There’s are very similar to mung sprouts so hope you try them!

3. Feel better soon, and this looks like something I am going to try soon!

1. Food For The Soul says:

Thanks jhilmil…hope you are well and enjoying your journey

4. tentimestea says:

Oh no–sorry to hear about the accident! I hope you heal up soon. What a lovely looking soup–a light broth that is made so hearty with all of those sprouted lentils!

Liked by 1 person

1. Food For The Soul says:

Liked by 1 person

5. petra08 says:

Am so sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you will recover soon that broth looks delicious and just perfect for healing! I would never have thought of making a soup with sprouted lentils and looking at your soup I must give it a try! Happy Fiesta Friday and get better soon 🙂

1. Food For The Soul says:

Thanks so much…I do hope you try this light and flavorful soup. I am on my way to recovery ( 1 week down and few more to go:))

Liked by 1 person

1. petra08 says:

Glad to hear! I have added it to my recipe collection! 🙂