Immersed in summer mountain vegetables is happiness. Kashmir is a place that gives me that.
Traveling through this tormented paradise brings out some bittersweet emotions. The consistent source of joy besides the rocking landscape is the produce that feeds the souls. The streets are of full of apples, peaches, and pears freshly picked from the nearby trees and accompanied by so many vegetables that you cannot stop filling up your bags to take home.
Kohlrabi is an important part of the Kashmiri diet and prepared with its leaves and served with a light gravy and eaten with rice. Monji Haakh is a simple dish and packs flavor and nutrition. .The key difference in taste I find comes from the use of Mustard oil. You can always substitute with regular vegetable oil. I used a pressure cooking but you don’t have to, it cooks just fine in a regular pot.
Monji Haakh: Kohlrabi made Kashmiri Style
A Kashmiri vegetarian delight
- Kohlrabi ( 4 large)
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chilies
- Garlic cloves – 5
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel the Kohlrabi and cut into slices. Remove the stems from the greens.
- Chop 4-5 cloves of garlic, 1 onion, and 1 round plump tomato.
- In a pan use a tablespoon of mustard oil and heat until sizzling.
- Add garlic, 2 green chilies, onion and 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Fry for about 30 secs and add a pinch of hing ( asafetida)
- Add the Kohlrabi pieces and fry for about 3 mins or so, add tomatoes, cayenne, turmeric, ground coriander, ground ginger, and salt to taste.
- Fry the spices for a couple of mins and then add the greens. Add baking soda and a cup of water. I use a pressure cooker to cook everything at this point for about 4-5 whistles. If using a regular pot, let it cook on medium heat until the vegetable is tender
- Note: If using a pressure cooker, open the lid of the cooker immediately to retain green color of the greens.
- Serve hot with rice and enjoy.