When you find perfect wild Albacore tuna steaks, you just want to come home and cook them. Cook may be a strong term for these beautiful steaks…just seared for a 1-2 minutes does the trick. Delicious, soft succulent melting with the veggies and soft boiled eggs.
I wanted to bring out my basic Indian flavors of coriander, cayenne, cumin and onion seeds …and so I did with a pinch of citrusy lemon zest.
The farmers market on Saturday was a rainy affair but did bring home beets, turnips and sweet potatoes. These got roasted along with home grown carrots , avocado oil and a pinch of salt to provide a beautiful base to the Tuna.
With the French Niçoise Salad in mind the composition grew to add a couple of organic eggs ( who does not like that??) and green beans blanched in salted water.
With all these wonderful ingredients, the dressing is mild – good olive oil, whole grain mustard, wasabi and rice vinegar.
Truly a fusion dish bringing may cultures and cuisines together. Do try it and enjoy.
- Tuna steaks – pieces
- 2 cups fresh greens ( Spring mix, kale)
- Carrots, Turnips, Beets, sweet potato for roasting
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes – halved
- A handful of fresh green beans
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion seeds
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoon Avocado or grapeseed oil
- Pink Salt and pepper.
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Pink salt
Putting it together:
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the coriander seeds and cumin seeds coarsely. Add onion seeds, cayenne, lemon zest salt and pepper to make a spice blend. Crust the tuna steaks with this spice blend and put aside
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing and salt to taste
- Roast the vegetables with avocado oil in a 400 degree oven for 30 mins and cool to room temperature
- Blanch the beans in boiling water for 3 mins and transfer to col water to stop the cooking
- Boil eggs for 5 mins for a soft interior.
- Assemble the greens with the roasted vegetables, quinoa, tomatoes and flavor with the dressing. Add the olives.
- In a fry pan, add the oil and sear the tuna for 2 minutes on either side. Should still have pink in the center.
- Slice the tuna the way you want it – in thin or chunky slices
- Assembles the greens, beans and tuna on a plate. Top with halved eggs. Use some leftover dressing to drizzle over and serve.